Frequently Asked Questions

Below you'll find answers to commonly asked insurance questions. If you have a query we haven't answered please don't hesitate to get in touch and one of our team members will be happy to help.

Travel Sales

How do I work out which international 'region' I'm travelling to ?

We rate our regions in order of price from highest to lowest: Worldwide, Europe, Asia, Pacific. If you are going to the USA, Canada, Africa, South America or the Middle East, select Worldwide. Note that when you buy a policy for a specific region, you are automatically covered for the lesser destinations. For example, with a Worldwide policy you are covered for anywhere else in the world. With a Europe policy you are also covered for Asia and the Pacific.

Is there an excess on my policy?

For international policies, no excess applies to sections 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 12, 13, 14, 17, 18 and 19. For all other sections, $100 excess applies per claim. You can remove this excess by paying an additional amount when you apply for insurance. No excess applies to our Plan B, Australia only policy.

Is your insurance available to people aged over 76 years?

Cover is available to travellers 85 years of age and under for Comprehensive and Australia Only plans, and for travellers aged 71 years of age and under for Budget, Frequent Traveller International and Frequent Traveller Australia plans.

We are unable to cover travellers who are aged 86 years and over at the date the policy is issued.

When does my cover start?

If you pay online by credit card, you will receive an immediate confirmation and Certificate of Insurance.

Am I covered if I work overseas?

Our travel insurance is primarily designed for the leisure traveller, and typically does not cover events linked to employment overseas. Our Frequent Traveller International plan may suit your insurance needs. In most circumstances, if you are injured on the job you are required to seek compensation from your employer in the first instance.

If I return home earlier than planned, can I get a partial refund on my insurance?

Sorry but no. We are unable to refund any part of your premium if you cancel your cover after any part of your policy has begun (other than in the first 14 days. Please see the "Cooling-off Period" section in the PDS for further details).

I am currently overseas and have no insurance - can I still take out your policy?

Sorry but no. Our policies are all designed to be taken out 'pre-travel'.

What happens if I get sick whilst overseas?

Our policies entitle you to medical assistance and cover for the costs of treatment overseas. You may choose your own medical advisor, or we can appoint an approved medical advisor to see you, unless you are treated under a Reciprocal Healthcare Agreement. Please refer to your policy for details.

When you buy a policy, you're provided with a policy number and an assistance number that you can contact us on from anywhere around the world, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Contact us immediately using the assistance number if you have a medical problem whilst overseas.

What happens if I'm injured overseas and evacuated?

We bring you safely home to Australia, where our liability ends, and you are then assimilated into the local healthcare system.

Do you cover my luggage?

We cover your luggage and personal effects under our Comprehensive, Australia Only and Frequent Traveller plans.

I might have a 'pre-existing medical condition' - what should I do?

Most of our policies cover some pre-existing medical conditions at no extra cost, and others require an additional premium. There are also some conditions we unfortunately don't cover. Our quote process will provide a tool to assess if your condition is covered. Please refer to our Product Disclosure Statement for more information.

Travel Claims

How do I make a travel insurance claim?

You can submit your travel insurance claim online. Simply click here and follow the prompts to submit your claim.

Alternatively you can call 1300 726 087 and speak to one of our Claims Consultants.

If you aren’t able to or would prefer not to submit your claim online, a Claims Consultant can email a claim form to you. You will be required to provide original supporting documentation (e.g. receipts) by post.

What if it's an emergency?

For urgent cases where you are overseas and require assistance or medical care, you should call our 24-hour emergency assistance team. A full list of contact numbers for the country you're travelling in is available on our Contact Us page. These telephone numbers are also listed on your Certificate of Insurance.

We will work with medical providers, organise hospital guarantees, and take every step necessary to properly manage your care.

What is the difference between my 'Certificate Number' and my 'Policy Number' on the claim form?

If you're completing a form and it prompts you for either of the above, please enter the policy number listed on your Certificate of Insurance. Both terms relate to the same number.

I've downloaded a manual claim form - do I have to complete the medical certificate on the back of the form?

If your claim relates to medical expenses, you need to have your regular doctor in Australia complete this section.

Why don't your plans cover medical expenses within Australia?

In Australia you are already entitled to treatment under your existing public or private healthcare arrangements.

What kind of documentation is required to process my claim?

You may be prompted to send us original documents, such as reports or receipts. Typically, these documents are requirements, and we are unable to action your claim without them. Each type of insurance claim that you can make may require a different document (for example: medical report, invoice, receipt or police report). We will always advise you of any documents required for your claim.

How am I assured of a fair decision?

In accordance with the General Insurance Code of Practice, we have an Internal Dispute Resolution Committee. If you are not satisfied with the outcome of your claim, you may request that the Committee reviews your claim by writing to us explaining the reason for your dissatisfaction. You will receive a response from the Committee within 15 business days of your request being received. If this does not resolve the matter, we will provide advice on how to contact the industry's independent external complaints scheme.